Mark your calendars to join us to once again celebrate our region’s distinctive history, breathtaking landscapes and hidden gems! The 12th annual TRAILS & SAILS: Two Weekends of Walks and Water, will take place September 20-22 & September 27-29, 2013!
The online listing of 2013 events will debut August 1, 2013. Printed guides will be available in September 2013.
Stay Engaged: Can’t wait until September? You can make TRAILS & SAILS last all year long by becoming an Essex Heritage member! If you appreciate the unique historical, natural and cultural events offered during TRAILS & SAILS you will enjoy being an Essex Heritage Member! Join here and receive invitations to events planned for YOU throughout the year.
Keep in touch! Sign-up for our monthly electronic newsletter.
Event Hosts: It's time to get creative! Start planning now - event submission begins online in March! We seek all kinds of experiences and invite any heritage organization or business to consider offering a unique, free event that provides residents and visitors the chance to connect and experience your special place. It's a great way to build public awareness and audience for your cause, mission and organization. Email Emily to get involved and add your organization to the TRAILS & SAILS line-up!
The 2012 event line-up offered hundreds of opportunities to connect people to the special places and organizations that comprise the Essex National Heritage Area. We thank the 100+ site hosts for opening their doors and scheduling 200+ TRAILS & SAILS experiences. We could not present this event without your enthusiasm! Visit Essex Heritage's Facebook page to see and post photos from the weekend festivities.
Click here to download the TRAILS & SAILS 2012 Printed Guide (.pdf)
TRAILS & SAILS 2012: People's Choice Awards
Essex Heritage is very grateful to the hundreds of organizations, event leaders and businesses that opened their doors and created experiences that continue to thrill and delight residents and visitors alike. Every year, Essex Heritage likes to recognize their efforts by presenting the "People's Choice Award" to ten TRAILS & SAILS events based on participant feedback. Of the 200+ TRAILS & SAILS events offered, participants voted for the following top ten events of 2012:
1. Old Ipswich Rum Tour & Tasting hosted by Turkey Shore Distilleries, Ipswich
2. 1812 Privateer FAME: Go Sail, hosted by the Schooner Fame, Salem
3. Newburyport's Historic Powder House open house hosted by the Newburyport Preservation Trust, Newburyport
4. Sea Level Rise at Crane Beach, hosted by The Great Marsh Coalition, Ipswich
5. Historic Ice House Tours hosted by Cape Pond Ice Company, Gloucester
6. Appleton Farmstead Tour hosted by The Trustees of Reservations, Ipswich
7. Winter Island tour hosted by Friends of Winter Island, Salem
8. Learn to Kayak with REI hosted by REI Outdoor School, Newburyport
9. A Working Winery Experience hosted by Mill River Winery, Rowley
10. Rowing the Jolly Boat hosted by the National Park Service, Salem Maritime National Historic Site